When the "blast was put on" (January 1889), the plant boasted of:

12,000 feet of railroad track (slightly more than 2 miles)

2 large sets of ore bins
3 coke bins
125' roaster stack
150' blast furnace stack
Crusher House/Sampling Works


Manager and assistant housing
General office buildings

Boarding/Mess House
  
300 person capacity
    Measured 3,750 sq. feet with a 1,920 sq. foot extension
    Contained 3 huge ranges and a 10x14 brick oven

Click to learn about the workers

Wash House

Bunk House
   
Equal in size to the main part of the boardinghouse

Lodging House
   
Contained a reading room

13 brick cottages for foremen
   
Measured about 800 sq. feet

Excellent fire protection system

Electricity

 

Minor support structures included:

Large warehouse
Blacksmith shop
Oil, scale, flue, dust and hose houses
Horse shed
Stone cellar
Ice house

Click to see the May 1891 Sanborn map of the area

 

2008-2009, GS Productions. All rights reserved.